The Chamonix valley is situated in a semi circle, orientated south west/north east.
It is a "trough" shaped narrow valley :
- 1,5 km at its maximum width
- only 500 mètres in its narrowest parts.
It's three levels make up three different altitudes:
- 1000 metres for the «plateau» of Chamonix
- 1200 metres for that of Argentière
- and 1400 metres for that of Le Tour.
Bordering the valley, you can, find the aiguilles Rouges mountain range, culminating at an altitude of 3000 metres, and on the other side, the Mont Blanc range with the highest summit in western Europe of 4810 metres.